Egil Törnqvist, born in Uppsala, Sweden, in 1932. Ph.D. from Uppsala University. Professor in Scandinavian Studies at the University of Amsterdam.
Fellow (1 September 1982 - 31 August 1983)
My research focused on aspects related to (Scandinavian) drama and theatre. Attention was paid to:
- the semiotics of stage directions as part of a drama text as compared to their aural/visual equivalents in theatrical production;
- the lack of clarity in drama criticism with regard to the important distinction between drama-as-text and drama-as-production as well as to first-time and second-time recipients;
- generic characteristics of the (modern) one-act play;
- the thematic coherence of a central Swedish expressionist drama;
- theme and structure of Ingmar Bergman's latest film.
Last Modified: 19-10-2009